Sunday, July 4, 2010

Golden Balls











It was just one of those slow and easy Sunday afternoons. My 7-year-old niece Ching saw our "suki" vendor coming. Weeee! I missed fishballs!!!

I was and still am salivating over these little crunchies. Actually, Ching is the regular customer. Her all-time favorite.

How to make fishballs? I don't really know the exact process. But for sure you just have to get the right amount of flour, water, scallions, salt, fish flavoring and what-have-yous and combining them to become a starchy mixture. I saw Manong,

(as I usually call this fine chap), use a small scoop to make one small fishball and deep-fry them in boiling hot vegetable oil.



He said the scoop helps it to make them the same size and faster to "dunk" these starchy dots to the burning cauldron of oil.

I asked the fishball vendor if they buy the mixture. He said they just make them because they don't trust commercially produced fishballs which go back and forth from frozen to thawed and back again. Not really safe, he concluded.

Manong was pretty much concerned about having regular customers - most of them school kids, he added - whom he has to take care of every day. I was thinking to myself, a very responsible businessman. I wish all people who are into business would be like him.

And btw, his cart is soooooooo clean. SPOTLESS. Not even a drop of sauce lingers unnoticed. Considering he moves from one area to another swarmed with customers, its probably tough to maintain that.

He so cautiously wards off insects and flies away from the famed streetfood.

That's how I like it... spic and span! WTG Manong!

This food blog is actually a BY-PRODUCT of my blipfoto journal. Let me share to you my blips... http://blipfoto.com/negrensedulce a.ka. Mi Dulce Vida. Well for those who aren't familiar with blipping, it's
a photo journal website where you are asked to upload one photo that you have taken in that specific day and it will be your entry for that exact day on your calendar/journal. Plus, you can write about this photo or your experience that day. Pretty neat huh??

Well this day, 4th of July 2010, I blipped about fishballs and I thought that a food blog would be another good venue
for some of the photos that did not make their way to my blipfoto for that day.
So I hope that you all enjoy this as much as I did.

And then, of course, consumption is always the best part of it all.

After snapping photos of everything, I sat back, relaxed and enjoyed my 10-peso snack of 20 golden fishballs. So far, these are the best fishballs I have tasted. 6 stars to you Manong!

3 comments:

joandarling said...

awwwww.... golden crispy balls against yummy pink... you're making me drool...! :-P

FatGoddess said...

@joandarling... hahaha... as we say in our dialect! KANAMIIIIT!

Julie. -- said...

Namit!

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Stumbleupon More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hosted Desktop